Monday, 19 June 2017

Moving Out for the First Time



I really wanted to write an "announcement" post to broadcast the fact that I'm going to be moving out in two months, but I already told you guys back in the 5 Happy Things post that I published last month. So rather than unveiling my plans to move in to a flat with two uni friends this coming August, I'm going to give you a little insight into everything that's gone on since I last updated you about this crazy, exciting adventure! 

Doing anything for the first time is daunting. Not necessarily because what you're doing is scary, but sometimes just because you don't have the previous experience to know what to expect. That's how I feel about moving out. There's so much to organise; all the paperwork that needs to be filed away, signed and sorted; all the furniture that needs to be bought, refurbished and stored... not to mention the flatmates.

I've not even moved out yet, and I've already learned a lesson or two about moving out. One thing I've had to learn the hard way is that you need to be able to fully rely on your (future) flatmates. Because if you can't rely on them, how can you rely on them to pay rent? My flatshare is set up in a way that if one person fails to pay their full rent, then the other two flat members are liable for that money. So it's super important that I can trust the people I'm moving out with.

The people part of moving out has been the craziest.

I remember the first time I lay eyes on the flat. Myself and my two friends Lois and Maria fell in love with it instantly. That day, the three of us talked about how we all felt like we had this emotional attachment to the flat- and how perfect it seemed for us three. We were all so excited, that after months of looking for a flat we had finally found the one- and it was in our price range as well. Within days we had contacted the letting agency and put down the deposit. 

Everything was falling into place.

Fast forward a few weeks, and I was away in Northampton visiting childhood friends when I checked Facebook to see that one of the girls I was moving out with had sent a huge paragraph on our flatshare group chat...She wasn't moving out with us anymore. 

She had talked to her parents, and they had told her not to move out, because she was already in a position where she lived in a great location in the city center, and didn't have to pay rent because her parents owned her flat. 

Fair enough.

We knew someone who was looking for a flat, and managed to get in contact with her straight away. Within hours we got it all sorted out- no hard feelings, we had a new flatmate and everything was going great again... until the other original flatmate sent her own paragraph explaining how she couldn't move out just yet. How she wasn't ready, and how she'd miss her family too much.

Whew. Fair. Enough.

I flew into a state of frenzy, messaging everyone who was anyone. Putting up instagram and snapchat stories begging anyone who was still looking to move out to get in contact with me. And thankfully I got a good few responses, with about three people seriously considering it.

We've got it all sorted out now (for now) and hopefully will be able to start organising who's bringing what into the flat in the next two months. I'm still just as excited to move into the flat as I was when I first walked into the hallway; even though I won't be moving out with the people I thought I would. It's still going to be a massive, crazy adventure. 

I want to keep you guys updated on my whole experience of moving out for the first time, and share any useful posts that I've read- so you might find that over the next few months the main focus will be on home-y stuff. I hope that's alright!!

Adios xo

No comments:

Post a Comment