Sunday, 2 April 2017

On maintaining a healthy attitude when it all gets a bit too much


Oh. My. Goodness.

I cannot stress enough how much of a whirlwind month I have had... it's been mental. I'm currently writing this post at work; I've got a half hour gap and I've decided to try to be productive. Tomorrow I  get up at 5am for a 7am start at my second job in Santander, and after that I go straight to the train down to Bedfordshire to see my boyfriend. Mental.

A lot of people ask me how I cope with it all, not believing that it's possible for me to actually keep on top of everything... but I do. At least, I do my best to. Keeping my diary updated is absolutely essential; I rely on it so much! I keep everything from my daily (and weekly) schedule, to my to-do list, to my blog schedule in there. 

Sometimes though, it all gets a bit too much. There have been countless times where I've felt like I never have any time for myself, as the one day a week I have off from work is often spent working on things for uni- if I don't have plans with my family and friends from home. It's just one of those things- it happens, and I have had to develop coping mechanisms that would help me maintain a happy, healthy attitude while still keeping on top of all of my responsibilities.

Number one on this list of coping strategies is breathing. And I don't mean the whole "breathe in, breathe out" thing- although if that works for you, that's great.

I've given breathing a new definition. Breathing: To be present, and to remember to put everything into perspective. To me, breathing is all about reminding myself that yeah, it's tough right now, but that's not going to last forever. Yeah, it's difficult trying to stay on top of all my assignments right now, but in a month or so I'll be finished completely with uni assignments for a whole six months. 

I guess it's a bit like the mindful lifestyle trend which was super hyped-up around 2015. Calm by Michael Acton Smith is an amazing book that really goes deep into incorporating mindfulness (or breathing) into every aspect of your life, and it's really helped me over the years. 10/10 would recommend. 

But of course, there are times when just breathing isn't enough. When I can't do it all, when no matter how hard I try, I just can't. And it's at times like those that I have to take a step back. And when it gets to that stage, I need to be kind to myself, because at the end of the day I am human and I do make mistakes, and I can't do everything- despite how hard I try.

Sometimes I need to let people down, and even though that might annoy them or what not, sometimes I need to. That doesn't make me a bad person. And sometimes I get my days mixed up and end up in a tangle of confusion and stress. Hey, that's okay.

In order to maintain a healthy attitude, I need to know and accept that at times I can't do it all. It's like Tiffany Cooper said; "I am only one person, and I alone can't solve all the problems in my sphere of life".

Sure, I can do my best to do whatever I can, but nothing more.


Note: I wrote this post a month ago so the intro is a lil bit outa date, but the principle still counts...

8 comments:

  1. Really nice post, and yes having a little reminder will make everything resolve easier and better xoxo

    www.theninebyivana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely know the feeling - juggling and trying to be there for everyone. Work, home, family, friends... but mindfulness does help and it sounds as if you have a healthy perspective. Hope you achieve your goals after all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I know the feeling! At the moment I'm planning a family party & stress level is so flippin' high. It does get a bit too much at times but I'm comforting myself with the fact that it's all over next Saturday and I can breathe again haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post! We can't be super heroes all the time. Sometimes we just need to accept this, calm down and keep moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post. I just take each day as it comes and do the best I can. Sometimes, putting too much pressure on yourself can make life extremely shit.. so I try to avoid that as much as I can

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're absolutely right with that breathing...it's very controlled and specific and works wonders!

    Coming Up Roses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super post. : D <3
    follow for follow?
    Fashion Lover

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathing is so important. I am learning now how the breathing is even part of a better delivery for my baby (I am pregnant). So breathing is really important for every one that wants to relax or stay calm. The right way of breathing!

    ReplyDelete