Sunday, 19 March 2017

What I miss, Home and Away

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the things that I miss when I'm away from home. You know, the little home comforts and little luxuries like having my own space in my room, or knowing the perfect spot for good lighting for when I'm doing my makeup. 

Being in a long-distance relationship, having family dotted all over the country (and continent, and globe pretty much), as well as having a great love for travelling in general, all mean that I am often away from home. So I miss my home comforts quite regularly. 

However, the more I thought about it the more I realised that when I am at home, there are several things that I miss about being away as well. 

So here are some of the things I miss about my home when I'm away...

1. I've mentioned this one already, and it might be trivial to most people, but seriously- knowing exactly where in the house has perfect lighting for doing my makeup is 100% something I miss about home when I'm away. I'm always a bit para that I'll misjudge my makeup due to the lighting and end up going out looking like the White Witch from Narnia, or some kind of orange oompa-loompa

2. Just having my own system. My room certainly isn't the tidiest of places; but I know where everything is and goes, and I know how it works.

3. Lush baths. I have a little stash of bath bombs and melts from Lush, tucked away with my candles and bubble bath bottles which all come together with a bit of TV or youtube to create the perfect atmosphere for a lovely, relaxing night. I have baths around twice a week, and they're honestly so ingrained in my weekly routine- but I never really feel comfortable enough having baths in other peoples houses.

4. Being creative. When I'm away from home, I rarely take my laptop out with me unless I have work to do for uni. And I almost never take my pens or notepads... sometimes I bring my camera, but even then I don't often have the opportunity to use it. It's always when I'm at home in my own space that I feel the most creative.

5. My friends are such a huge part of my life at home, at work, and at university. And to be honest they really ought to be number one on this list because they are my priority- and the thing I miss the most about going away from home.


And here are some of the things I miss about being away when I'm home...

1. The excitement of being somewhere different. Regardless of whether I've been to the place a million times or it's the first time ever, the sole fact that it's different to my usual surroundings makes it immediately so much more beautiful and enticing. And sometimes when I'm at home, I just get sick of seeing the same things and going to the same places all the time.

2. Having a totally different routine. This one is kinda similar to the previous point, but it's slightly different. When I'm at home, I always end up going through the motions of waking up, going to uni, working, possibly meeting up with  friends, and repeat. And sometimes it's so refreshing just to go somewhere new where your everyday routine is completely disregarded and essentially thrown out the window.

3. Not having a plan. Which to some might sound completely backward, but I love not knowing exactly what I have planned. I always have such a laugh figuring it out along the way, making light of my mistakes- like that time I almost ended up taking the completely wrong train.

4. Talking to strangers- because why would I talk to strangers when I'm surrounded by people I know and love at home? But I really do love getting to know new people, and being in places away from home gives me the perfect opportunity to do just that.

5. The people. Because even though I am really lucky in that a lot of the people I love are near where I live, I still have a vast number of people close to my heart that are not so close to my home. That goes for my boyfriend who I see monthly, my family who I see once or twice a year, and my friends; some who I've not seen for up to five years- can you believe that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment