Thursday, 1 December 2016

It's been a while

Hey, remember me?

I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't... it's been a while. A lot has happened since I last wrote a post for Sara Louisa; some of it personal, some of it not so much. I have a lot of news that I want to share with you all, but there's also a number of pressing issues that I really want to discuss with you all. I find it integral that I use my platform (however small it may be) to talk about issues that actually matter as much as I can. But let's start with what's been going on in my life lately...

This past month has gone by in such a blur. It's been a month full of new beginnings; from beginning life as a fully fledged adult (You might remember I turned 18 towards the end of October) to learning how to work for my new store manager in one of my current jobs.

I say current job, because I have another new beginning to announce... *drumroll please*

I'm starting a new job, at a brand new Cuban restaurant slash rum bar, Revolucion de Cuba, that is opening in Glasgow! As of the 24th of November I will no longer be working for my current employer, and I'm not going to lie- I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to this new chapter of my life, and the exciting new experiences that have been opened up to me. I've needed a new adventure for a while, and this is it.

Some of you will know of my past struggles will SAD, also known as seasonal affective disorder. It's something that I've battled with for at least two years, and while I've made a lot of progress with this battle, it's still something I find really difficult in the run up to -and during- the winter months. Last year was a particularly difficult time for me, which has been running on my mind a lot lately. I hope that this year, life will be a little softer to me. But if it isn't, I know that I need to keep going forward, and carry on as best I can... because all in all, my life really isn't that bad.

In fact, my life is rather spectacular, especially compared to that of others.

That kind of brings me on to my next point. If you have been keeping up to date on the news for the past few months, you will have noticed that there's a lot madness going on in the world right now. So, you know, I can't really complain.

I'm more than grateful for everything that I have; an amazing community with my family, friends, and peers; the opportunity to have a high level of education at a really great university; two jobs, as well as a family who are always ready to support me financially whenever I need an extra boost; an abundance of food and drinks; and even the simplest yet most important thing- safety.

So many people around the world are not safe, or have cause to question their safety.

In the midst of the American presidential campaign, people began to question whether or not they would be safe should Trump win the election. Now that he has, there are women and girls who worry that his example of how to get away with abusive behaviour will encourage more of such behaviour. There are people of ethnic minorities who worry that because of his discriminatory campaign policies, their children won't be safe in the streets. There are people who practice different religions that worry that they will be labelled as murderers and abusers, because other people's actions have stained a religion they believe should be centred around peaceful and loving actions.

Yeah, did you know that "Islam", directly translated, actually means peace?

And unlike mainstream media would lead you to believe, there is actually so much more going on in the world right now. Ukraine and Russia are still in conflict- some of you will remember the conflict surrounding Russia's annexation of Crimea; this was two years ago and the conflict is still raging. The Syrian civil war is still raging on. Relations between Israel and Palestine are pessimal to say the least. And there's more.

There's always more. A lot of people have labelled 2016 as the year where everything went to pot, but the fact is that the world has always been this messed up. There has always been conflict and dissonance. Remember the 2011 London riots? Egyptian and Syrian civil wars began in 2011 as well. But the world was a messed up place even before then.

The song 'we didn't start the fire' by Billy Joel lists over 100 headlines from before I was even born. The song is an anthem for people who recognise the faults and flaws of the world, realise that it's not really anyone's fault and want to fight it.

I want to fight it. I want you to fight it. I want everyone to stand tall together, to fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment