This week, her electric ocean has taken a bit of a back bench role in my life for the first time in about half a year. As many of you will already know -it’s not like I’ve kept it a secret or anything lol- I got a place in the Univeristy of Strathclyde to do Business Management this year, and on the 10th of September I started fresher’s week. Yeah. In that one week, I met so many wonderful new people and I experienced so many amazing new things. I also learnt a few lessons, lol.
Strathclyde have a really great union, so during the week there were various events during the day and evening... from a club night on the first night featuring radio 1’s Nick Grimshaw (Grimmy), to ceilidhs and speed meetings. Not only were there a number of different events during the week, but there were even multiple events during each day so there was always a good choice of events to do go. Everything was in the same place too, so if one event didn’t turn out as great as you’d hoped it would, there was always something else to go to. I guess that’s one of the perks that come with having 10 floors in your union! (Although the stairs are killer)
Freshers week is such a great time to make new friends at uni and create amazing new memories before lectures start. It’s something you only really experience once, which is why I thought it would be interesting to go through some of the thoughts I had over the week. Let me know if you relate to anything, or if you’ve not started uni yet then tell me what you’re looking forward to most about it!
1. WHAT SHOULD I WEAR! Should I wear a dress? Or is that too much. Or maybe jeans and a nice top. But I don’t even have any nice tops, and I don’t want to look like a slob on my first night. But I also don’t want to look like I tried to hard… Why is this so hard!
2. Is it even worth paying £50 for the gold card? I mean, it gets me into all the union events for the whole year, but £50 is a lot of money…
3. Oh my goodness I hate busses. Why did I ever think staying at home was going to be okay? I need to move out ASAP.
4. I really hope people like me, I mean I’m going to be spending my next 4 years with these people they better like me
5. But what if they don’t like me. Or worse, what if I don’t like them?!
6. It’s fine. It’s freshers. I’m going to meet lots of people and make loads of friends
7. Shit… freshers week is expensive. I’ve already spent half of this fortnights money, and all I’ve bought is food and drinks
8. This whole uni thing is so great, I’ve finally got a great party-party balance. Who needs lectures anyways, right? I mean, I still have until next Monday till the real work begins
9. What the HECK why did we just get pranked at our first lecture?! I’m so confused, is uni always like this?
10. How am I going to keep up with this, I’ve not been home earlier than 2am since like a week ago last Friday!
11. Do people seriously not know how to make toast? Why have I experienced 4 fire alarms while in student accommodation, I don’t even live there! It’s not even been a week!
12. Who’s number is this? And who’s this guy I have a selfie with on my snapchat story? Wait, did I really do that last night???
13. I’m never going out again. I am completely off the drink. I am never going to touch drink again. EVER.
14. Who’s having a gaff tonight? I’m so there.
15. They really weren’t kidding when they said freshers flu was going to hit me like a tonne of bricks. Ew.