Thursday, 16 June 2016

Thursday Thoughts #10



For most of my life, I've been a pretty positive person. People always used to ask me why I was always happy. In fact, a few months ago when I started work, I was told that I was too happy to work there by a colleague. I took it as a compliment.

However, in the past couple of years I've felt myself slowly losing this strong sense of positivity. I've always been a bit of a worrier, and I stress about the littlest things, but recently that has manifested and grown to form a more dominant aspect of my attitude. That's something that I really want to change, as if you read this blog, you'll know that I really believe in the importance of having a positive lifestyle, and attitude towards life.

In order to be able to get back my positive attitude, I need to remember that happiness is a choice. It's not something that happens to you, and it isn't caused by situational factors. Happiness is all about how you deal with these situational factors. 

My parents recently went to Nepal to scope out my Dad's new job, and my Mum came back with a million stories about people who had lost everything, but were still happy. They had nothing, yet they offered everything they had. There was one story in particular, which really struck me. My Mum told me about how one day she went out, and saw an artist sitting on the ground, painting. His legs had been cut off somehow during the earthquake, but he didn't make one complaint. "It's okay" he said, with a genuine smile on his face "I still have my arms. I can still carry on my profession. I can still paint". 

That's real. That is what counting your blessings is all about. How many people in that situation would spend all day complaining about how hard life is? Yet he had the courage and strength to keep smiling, accepting what had happened, yet moving on in a positive way. I wish I was more like that.

"Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive, because your words become your behaviour.
Keep your behaviour positive, because your behaviour becomes your habit.
Keep your habits positive, because your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny"
~Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment