Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Travelling

I fell in love with travel the first moment I stepped on a plane, aged 4, on my way to Poland. 

I remember going to Poland regularly when I was young, (my Mum is from Poland originally) and looking out the plane window to see the clouds beneath me. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, my family moved house from York, to Glasgow. That meant even more travelling; from Glasgow to York, where some of our friends were, as well as taking trips to Liverpool, where my grandparents, and aunty and uncle lived. 

I was born and bred a traveller- and it's in my blood. After my Dad did his post-grad in teaching English to foreigners, he travelled the world teaching English in various countries. He spent months in Moscow, some time in Finland, and years in Poland, where he met my Mum.

 I -much like my parents- hate being in the same place for too long. For my parents, that meant that they found it difficult to settle down in a location for much more than 2-3 years, until they moved to Scotland. For me, however, it means something slightly different. I can't go very long without going on an adventure; travelling.

I remember my first ever trip without my parents or friends. I took a 2 and a half hour train all the way to Dundee, aged 15, where I spent a week with a group of complete strangers. That was one of the most scary, yet exciting and rewarding weeks I've ever had. After that trip, my confidence in travelling solo rocketed, and I found myself booking several bus and train trips around the UK within the year.

In the past year alone, I have travelled to Dundee, Aberdeen, Stirling, and Edinburgh, all paid for by my work as a tutor and crew member at McDonalds. 

During the upcoming summer holidays, I have booked 1 week in Poland with a few of my friends, as well as a weeks trip to the borders which I'll spend with another group of friends. There's even a possibility that during my study leave I'll take a few days road-trip to St Andrews, the town where the duke and duchess of Cambridge met. How romantic. Speaking of romance, last year I spent almost every second weekend travelling up to Aberdeen -which is 3 hours away- to see my ex boyfriend. Although the distance obviously sucked, I relished in the opportunity to travel constantly.

I don't know what it is about travelling that is so captivating and exciting, but it's the one thing that I know will get my heart pounding. There's just something so beautiful about going to a place you've never been before, and discovering a whole new world that you never even knew existed, and I've made so many new friends through my travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment