Wednesday, 18 May 2016

Things I love about living in the UK

I've lived in the UK for the duration of my entire life, and while I know I'm great at complaining about this island's every single little fault, (like the weather for example- might I just remind you that it was snowing in April?!) but I do love it dearly. Here are just a few of my favourite things about living in the UK.

The music
I don't know about you, but I'm a huge lover of music, especially live music. One of the great things about living in the UK is that there's almost always some sort of concert near you, and artists usually do tours around the UK alone, where in contrast they might just do a tour of Europe; visiting the capitals of each country per night. Do I even have to mention the festivals? There's such a huge choice, from T in the park, to Download festival, to Radio 1's big weekend, which by the way, is free.

The food
Does the UK even have a national food? If it does I bet it's fish and chips. Even so, we still have millions of cafes, fast food shops, and restaurants, so that no matter where you are, you'll be able to grab a hot meal. This makes road-trips so much more fun. I remember once when I was a kid on a family road trip to Europe, and on our way to the ferry in Essex, we stopped off on this town in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and googled the nearest chippie, which ended up being about 5 minutes away. Absolute bomber.

The tea (and coffee)
Nothing beats a good wee meet up with a bunch of friends over tea and coffee at your local cafe, or a sit down after diner with a warm cup of tea to settle your stomach. Tea is especially such a typical British thing, but I do love it. Milk and two sugars, please. 

British TV shows
You know, the underrated box sets that are sitting on Channel 4 catch up waiting to be binge watched? Some of my favourites include Skins, Misfits, and Fresh meat is a new addition to the list of boxsets that I've watched in under a fortnight. The humour is so British that you just wouldn't get it anywhere else. Not to mention the classic shows, like Britain's got Talent, or the X Factor, which are just about everybody's favourites.

The beaches
From where I live, you can reach two beautiful beach destinations by car in an hour. I don't drive, but that doesn't stop me; I also have the option of taking a two hour bus journey which would take me to multiple different beaches... And damn are they beautiful. Although we don't have a lot of great weather here in the UK, as long as it's dry I'll happily take a day trip to the beach without a lot of effort, and not a lot of people can do that.

2 comments:

  1. I want to go to the UK!!! I am all for music, tea, food, and beaches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like the perfect cocktail! But somehow us Brits always seem to find something to complain about, lol.

      Delete