Tuesday, 17 May 2016

On staying calm and focused

It's official. Don't panic, but we've hit exam season, and as this post is published, I will be sitting my first exam of the year; higher administration and it. Wish me luck, because I will certainly need it. I know as a fact that I really haven't done enough studying for this subject. I don't really have an excuse, but I can say for sure that this isn't a subject I've really been focusing on, especially with my advanced higher business exam looming.

Staying focused is one of the biggest battles I face when studying. I find myself so easily distracted, that by the time I've seen the latest episode of home and away, lined up all my snacks and drinks, and set my books out, (as well as checking my phone multiple times, and uploading '#studying' snaps on my story) I've wasted about half of my allocated study time. 

Staying calm obviously has a huge impact on my ability to focus, and I'm sure the same can be said for most -if not all- of you reading this post. If you're feeling anxious or agitated, it's probably best that you try to sort that out, or you're likely to find your focus dwindle significantly. The question is, of course, how

Now, I'm almost certain that if you type 'how to stay calm' into the google search bar (or words to that effect) that you'll find yourself scrolling through masses of self-help guides, and I've seen plenty of posts specifically written about how to survive the exam season so I'm not going to do that today. 

I've already written a few posts to do with exam stress, organisation, and tips ect. so if you have a little scroll through her electric ocean I'm sure you'll find something helpful. I'm going to be posting a round up of helpful links for exam time too, so keep a look out for that.

Today, I want to encourage you, and let you know that it is possible. I've been through national 5's, and highers, and this year I've been studying advanced higher business management. I know how stressful this period of time can be; I've been there, gone through the sleepless nights, and the days full of mental breakdowns. 

On the days I felt like I was on the verge of a breakdown, I learnt that hot baths, cups of teas, candles, and chats with my Dad were the things that helped calm me down the most. Whenever I was studying, I found that having an acoustic playlist on in the background, while I did past papers in the library was the best way for me to avoid distractions. It's different for everyone, but these were the things I feel had most effective results. 

I want to wish you all the best of luck with your exams, and please know that whatever grades you get on results day, that you did what you could, and that in itself is a great achievement.

How do you stay calm and focused during exam season?

No comments:

Post a Comment