Friday, 29 April 2016

Waiting for moments to come



As a little toddler, I couldn't wait to go to the "big" school, and then when I was in my final year of primary school, I was aching to go to high school. Last year, I couldn't wait to be in my final year of high school and have all my 'important' exams behind me. Now I'm here, and I'm half anticipating my transition into university, half clinging on to my memories and wishing I had cherished my time more.

"All my life, I've been waiting for moments to come"

What a haunting, thought provoking sentence. It might mean nothing to you, but it means everything to me. From waiting to get stuck into the next phase of my education, to waiting for the weekend, to waiting for that band to release their next album. That one, simple, 10 word sentence just about sums up my life.

But as well as that, it challenges me. Almost as if it's telling me to get my act together. "Come on girl, pick yourself up. Stop focusing on the future, and all the plans you have. Use the time you have to live in the now- soak it all up, because soon it will be gone, and you'll wish you could get it back"

I'm positive I'm not the only one who feels like this, and it's pretty scary to think about- that I'm wasting my time waiting for the future to come. How silly does that sound, when you word it like that? It's no longer haunting, or thought provoking... it's just plain daft. These moments- whatever the future holds for me -will come whether I wait for them or not. Sitting around doing nothing will neither speed nor slow the coming of these moments, and it won't make them mean any more- or any less.

Ghandi once said "The future depends on what we do in the present" and Abraham Lincoln backed that up in a quote, where he said that "the best wait to predict your future is to create it". These are to very different, but very wise people, so surely they can't be far from being right? 

And if they are right, then what kind of mould am I, and anyone else in my shoes, creating for my future by waiting for moments to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment