Saturday, 9 January 2016

Why it's absolutely essential that you take time out


"Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges. So relax"

One of my favourite things to do when I'm angry or frustrated is playing my guitar. I love how when I put all my attention to the chords and strumming pattern, the world seems to slip out of focus. When I'm playing guitar, my problems don't seem smaller; they simply don't exist. According to one of my favourite books Calm by Michael Acton Smith, playing an instrument is a form of meditation, so it's no surprise that I feel so much calmer after half an hour of strumming away.

I often find that after taking a break my mind is much more open to new ideas, and my creativity levels seem to be higher than previously. This is no coincidence. If you push yourself too hard, you're eventually going to burn out, so it's extremely important that you allow yourself the time to relax. Not only this, but research evidence strongly suggests that you produce your best work when you've had time to take a break. You're more productive on a Monday -even thought I'm pretty sure 90% of you won't feel like it- because you've had the weekend to recharge your batteries. 


Here are some ideas of how you could take time out to relax:

♥ Light some candles and have a long soak in a bath

♥ Try meditation. I would strongly recommend using the Calm app.

♥ Spend time in nature

♥ Go for a walk

♥ Try cloud gazing

♥ Read a book

♥ Make a mind jar

♥ Doodle/Colour in

What do you do to make yourself feel more relaxed?

4 comments:

  1. This is important for everyone!!
    Thanks for the advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree wholeheartedly! Thank you, I'm glad you find it helpful.

      Delete
  2. All those sound so perfect right about now.

    ReplyDelete