Saturday, 2 January 2016

The importance of being yourself (guest post by Aisha from Afroblisso)


“We keep hiding the parts of ourselves we want most to reveal” 


Hello, my name is Aisha. I am the creator/writer of the Afroblisso blog. I am so happy to share my thoughts, and would love to thank Sara for sharing this post. Also, you should take a look at her post for my blog, titled “What is Change” under the Writings on the Wall tab on my blog.

Now let me introduce myself a little more. I am a junior in high school, and I live in the United States. When I get older, I wish to travel the world, but I mainly want to travel all over Africa. My parents are from Liberia, as well as my whole family, and I hope to go back there in the future to build a hospital there. I love learning about different cultures all around the world, and also love giving back. We do not live in a perfect world, and we are not perfect people; but we can work together to make the world a better place.

My blog is mainly an OOTD (Outfit of the Day) blog, but I also give fashion tips, post my photography, skincare tips, and I write about anything I think about and want to share. I am an observer, and I think a lot about things; so I write it down. This is one of the main reasons I created my blog actually. If I want to share those things, I will. If I feel like I’d rather keep it to myself, then I will write it down in my journal to keep it. Sometimes I over think things, and I really hate it, but I am learning to just let everything flow on its own. Also, I am obsessed with fashion and wanted to show off my style more publicly. I get asked what I am wearing almost every single day, so my blog can tell you everything I am wearing and where I love to shop. I started blogging this past summer, and I am still learning how to get the hang of everything, so bear with me. 


I wrote this post based on the quote at the beginning: “We keep hiding the parts of ourselves we want most to reveal.” As a teenager, I see people my age acting differently than they normally would. Like I said before, I am an observer. I know who I can trust and who I can’t trust. Why do people act this way? 

Some people are afraid of being themselves because of what others may think, and it is so sad but it is also very true. I saw this quote on the Internet one day, and I feel like everyone should live by it: “People will judge you no matter what you do, so you might as well do what you want.” You are your own person, and you are allowed to do whatever you want, say whatever you want, and live however you want to. Do not let others control that. It took me a long time to realise that because I was always the follower in groups, until I learnt to be my own leader. I encourage you all to do the same and take the first step.

Reflect on how you have grown as a person: 
What have you learnt about yourself over the past few years? 
When was a time you felt like you could not be yourself and why?



I hope you enjoyed this post, and I would love to thank Sara, again, for posting it. Please visit my blog if you want to see more!

No comments:

Post a Comment