Sunday, 31 January 2016

(5) Lessons I've learnt from Halsey #2

Yesterday I uploaded a post explaining why I look up to Halsey as an inspiration, and the lessons that I've learnt from her. When I think of Halsey, wild, untameable, strong, and independent are some words that come to mind. I mean, she's so damn cool that her stage name is an anagram of her first name, Ashley. 

#1 "I am about empowering girls and I am about women wanting to build each other up"
There's something so fresh and inspiring about a woman like Halsey saying that she wants to contribute positively to the female community. There are so many artists and celebrities who just go along with the mainstream culture of slagging girls off behind their backs, or just being generally bitchy, but Halsey isn't having any of that!

#2 "Don't let your reputation affect your character"
It can be so easy to fit into the box of expectations that society has for you, but it's important that you stay true to yourself. Don't let peoples expectations stop you from being who you are, because no matter what people think, you are you, and that you that you are is wonderful, just as it is!

#3 "My responsibility is intention. I can't be held accountable for interpretation"
Just like Halsey, we can't take responsibility for the way that someone understands you. All you can control is the things that you say and the way that you live; that's your message to the world. Sometimes people are going to misinterpret who you are, because that's just part of life, and they might criticise you, but that's their problem, not yours.

#4 Who you are, is who you are under circumstance. So, the person that you are is the person that you are in an emergency, and the person you are is the person you are when someone insults you..."
You're not always going to behave the same way, and that's okay. It's okay to be a lover to one person, a daughter to another, and a friend to yet another. It's okay to be stressed under pressure, happy in the highs of life, and upset when it's tough. It's okay if you're not a monoperson. Nobody ever really is.

#5 Nothing! A! Woman! Does! Justifies! Unwanted! Sexual! Attention!"
I couldn't be able to tell you how many times I've been told that I shouldn't wear something in case it "Attracts the wrong attention" or "give the wrong idea". But the way I see it, I wear what I wear, you wear what you wear. I control my actions, and you control yours. I'm really glad that I've got the backing of someone like Halsey, who basically says that us girls should be able to live how we want without having to worry about the implications too much.

1 comment:

  1. I love Halsey and the message she puts out into the world. She is a great inspiration to lots of girls and women and I am very thankful for her and her music. Love this post!

    Love, Mia

    ReplyDelete