Monday, 25 January 2016

10 things I'd tell my younger self


There have been times when, looking through the photographs, or just thinking about the past in general, I've wished that there was a magical time machine that would allow me to go back in time to mend the mistakes that my younger self has made. Sadly, such a machine doesn't exist, but that doesn't stop me from wishing. Anyways, here are the 10 things I would tell my younger self if I had the chance...

It doesn't matter if you don't have a huge group of friends
Ever heard the phrase 'quality not quantity'? Yeah, you might not have heaps of friends, but you have a select number of really, really damn good friends who are going to stick by your side all the way through primary school, and then all through high school too. Don't take them for granted, because they deserve to be appreciated.

Appreciate your parents
When you're faced with the possibility of moving away from home, it's a bit too late to realise how much your parents have done for you in the past 17 years of your life. They have given up so much of their life in order to make sure you have the most perfect childhood, even at their own expense. It's time you stop acting like a spoiled brat, and started realising how incredible your parents are.

Don't worry about not having a 'life plan'
It's okay not to know exactly what you want to do with your life. In fact, it's normal. Even though tons of your friends may seem to have their whole life planned out for themselves, most of these plans are probably going to go out the window after exams. Just chill and take it one step at a time.

Don't get highlights done right after you've dyed your hair
Just don't. It's a bad idea, and you'll regret it for the rest of your life. Anna might look good with her blonde streak, but you are going to look like a total idiot, because the hairdresser is only going to give you three chunky highlights. Now it looks like you've failed at life.

Don't bin the books you've already read
Seriously, this is going to cause you so much grief. Just keep the damn books! Store them in the garage or something, so that when the time comes that you want to re-read them, or lend them to a friend, you won't go home just to realise that you binned them. 

Avoid the blue eyeliner
This is not a good look. It's really not. I know all your friends are going for the thick blue eyeliner look, but you look like some kind of druggie from the '70s. Mum was right, you shouldn't have been allowed in public with makeup like that.

Get guitar lessons ASAP
So I know you're going to want to try out playing the flute, piano, violin, cornet, trumpet, viola, and drums, but the truth is none of these instruments are going to be much good, so you might as well save yourself the time and money, and jump straight into learning guitar. Trust me, it'll be so much better. Guitar rules over all.

Please learn how to shape and maintain your eyebrows
No comment.

Your problems aren't really that bad
I know it feels like the world is ending, but it's really not. Life is about to get a hell of a lot more tough, and you're going to have to juggle exams, stress, tension headaches, depression, and difficult friends soon. Consider yourself lucky, and prepare for the worst. 

You'll get over the guy who you're sure you're going to marry
So you know that guy you've been pining over for 4 years, that you're convinced you're going to marry? You know every single detail about him, from his birthday to his best friends pet hamsters name... it's just sad. Anyway, as soon as you get over him, he's going to ask you out, and you're going to reject him. But that's okay, cos you guys are going to end up being total bestos. Love him!

13 comments:

  1. Love those! Specially the one about books.. they are precious. I have post about similar topic on my blog - http://beinghalcyon.blogspot.rs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Dunja! It's actually such a pain, I love re-reading old books, but I also hate clutter, so finding the balance of which books I should keep is a real struggle!

      Delete
  2. Completely agree with all of them! I would also remind myself that kindness is the best option, always!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such an important point! Kindness is always the best path to take.

      Delete
  3. I love these, they're all SO true! I laughed about the eyebrows, its amazing what a difference good eyebrows can make :).

    Erin, Attention To Darling Blog
    www.attentiontodarling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that Erin, haha ! Thanks for your lovely comment

      Delete
  4. Awww ... I love, love, loooove that you did this! What a cool post! I might have to try it myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much, girl! This comment brightened up my day

      Delete
  5. Wow. I really need to pick up some lessons from here. Especially the life plan point and the last point! Very well thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great. You'll get over him is fantastic advice.

    ReplyDelete