Thursday, 1 October 2015

Thursday thoughts #3



"The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow"

The principle of growing plants is that when they are injured they grow back stronger. I remember one Sunday a while back when we had invited a small group of older family friends over for a meal, and we had somehow came onto the topic of growing fruit and veg. My mum mentioned how she had just began growing strawberries, and was then told that after they flower and all the fruit from that year has been produced, she should cut them right back to the roots so that next year the rots would be stronger and the supply of fruit more plentiful.

The phrase "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" comes to mind. I think that for me personally, I can relate to this. And yeah, I know it's a bit wacky to relate to a strawberry plant, but I really do. There have been so many times where life has been going so great, and I've had my prime time where my fruit is produced and the flowers blossom. But then something comes along the road and knocks me right back down.

See, the thing is, when I'm down there being cut right back to my roots it feels awful. I feel empty and broken. But whenever I stood back up again, I stood up so much taller. The pain had made my joy even better; even bigger!

The good times make the tough time worthwhile.

Have you ever had your branches cut back?
How has that allowed you to grow again?

No comments:

Post a Comment