Saturday, 5 September 2015

little ways to be healthier


I know I'm not exactly the healthiest person on the planet, in fact I'm really just not healthy at all. But this year I've recognised that I need to try and take care of my body a bit more. In the past, I have tried all sorts of diets, and to be completely honest with you, they have never really lasted for much more than a couple of days. So then a few months ago I decided I would exercise more. Yeah, I did a whole 3 runs and then my 'busy' life got in the way. Whatever, so I'm a bit of a failure when it comes to being healthy... I'm still trying, right?

This time, I decided I would set myself realistic goals. Stuff that would be easy enough, but that would be good for my body. So why the hell shouldn't I share a couple of my little ways to be healthier with you? They aren't amazing new revelations, and I'm not going to promise that you'll lose x number of pounds if you do these things, but if you're anything like me (i.e. lazy, not very motivated...) then you might just find these little things that little bit helpful.

So first off, I decided that I would go on more walks. I reckon this won't be too hard for me, as I already walk to school every day. My walk to school is 2 miles there, and 2 miles back, and because of the way my timetable has mapped out this year, I have a bunch of free periods, so some days I'll be able to go home for lunch, taking my total number of miles walked in a day to 8! Also, I live right next to a country trail which borders a river and a cute little farm, which is perfect for a little stroll when I feel up for it.

Another thing I decided was that I would not go on a diet. You're probably reading this thinking I'm going completely off my cracker, but let me explain. See, when I tried out a diet, it would only last a few days, and that would make me gain weight rather than lose it, because for the first few days of most diets your body tends to create its own fat before it's used to the change in your eating. And whenever the day came that I would give up on my diet, I would end up binge eating all sorts of junk... so diets are totally ruled out for me! No more dieting!

I also resolved to drink more water, which shouldn't be too hard for me either. I drink a lot, and I always like to have a glass of some kind of beverage on my desk, so all I really need to do is chuck out the fizzy juices and replace them with water, which'll save money too since water is free! I do love water too, especially with a slice of lemon... 

But on the days I'm not really up to drinking water all the time, I shall make sure that I'm well stocked up on herbal teas, especially when the cool autumn and winter months kick in! Meanwhile, a summery smoothie won't do me any harm!

My third little way to be healthier is to replace one snack a day with fruit or vegetable. Personally, I love berries; especially strawberries! But they can be pretty expensive, so an apple or orange can suffice, and I'll be leaving the berries for a little treat now and then. I really like a bit of raw carrot to munch on every so often too...

Fourth and final, I am going to listen to more music. Actually, scrap that, I practically listen to music 24/7 already so that's pretty impossible for me... but maybe you could listen to more music. I saw a post on my twitter feed a few days ago saying that listening to music actually relaxes blood vessels and moderates the production of stress hormones (basically makes you less stressed) which is well good!

What little things do you do to try to be healthy?

7 comments:

  1. I love your attitude, it' so refreshing to hear you say you won't go on a diet....good on you. And walking 4 miles a day is fantastic, well done you. I might just take on board your tip about music :)
    Nicola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on too many diets in the past 5 years- I've finally learnt my lesson!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drinking more water is something my husband and i have embarked upon recently. It's paying off, our skin's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so encouraging to hear! Hopefully it'll have a similar affect on me!

      Delete